Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hi 2012. Hi Birmingham.

I haven't blog in a long while. Anyway, Happy New Year! Greetings to all of you from Birmingham.
*This is just a record of what happened on my first day in Birmingham, it may be a lil boring for you*

I had such a long day yesterday. I traveled for about 22 hours to reach Birmingham. The landing to Birmingham wasn't like anything I was imagining: gracefully touch down and looking at the city with full of emotions. NO. The weather wasn't great, so it was so bumpy. It was like a roller coaster ride for at least 15mins. Kids were screaming and crying. I was looking at the downward camera of the plane. The sum of everything led to nausea. Got off the plane feeling sick.
After quite a long wait at the immigration, waited for almost an hour for my luggage. But thank God both my luggages arrive safely.

When i reached the reception of my hostel. i was dead tired. but the receptionist suggested that i should get my ID card from the uni. after much hassle and walk a path that i think is longer than needed, i reached uni. but the person said i have not completed my registration. so i couldnt get my card then. have to go back on Monday. Me, having no sense of direction, tried my luck to get back to uni from another way that i came from. But luckily i found my way back and there were quite a few pedestrian that i asked to just make sure i was in the right direction. I rushed back before 5pm to get my duvet set and internet cable for my room, only to know that reception is 24 hours.

Afterwards, i rushed off to High Street thinking to get my sim card. On my way out, i opened a fire door, thinking that i can use it as short cut, but i set off the alarm. so i had to run all the way to reception and ask for help again. the guy, Amirk (who is kind enough to help me carry one of my luggage to my room) shook his head. I was so embarrassed.

So, as i set off to get my sim card, thinking i must get it then, broke my heart when the stupid phone shop do not have micro sim. :S What kind of phone shop is that!?! he said i need to get to City Centre to get it done. Which i still have no idea where it is. Argh. with much disappointment, i went to get some things from this shop called Home Bargain. and then went to Marks and Spencer to get myself an apple pie and some ham. The living cost here is quite okay. I get the pie for 89p. I couldnt have bought a pie at this price in Aus.

So, using my almost-non-existent sense of direction, i manage to get home in one piece. My new neighbour who offered some help earlier gave me a sim card that she got in her welcome pack, after i told her i couldnt get a sim from High Street. I was so thankful. Thank you God for giving me a good neighbour/toilet mate (we share the same toilet).

So after a long day, i showered (the water was not HOT! i almost froze when i first showered until the water warm up towards the end of my shower), fixed the internet, put the sim in my phone, pack for today, and went to bed. Even though i woke up at 11+pm, 1am, 2am and finally wakes at 4am, I feel well rested.

Thank you God for everything, and my safe arrival. Now, I'm setting off to Edinburgh for 3days! Can't wait to see some family. Hope it'll cure my homesickness a little.

Cheers,
Pris

No comments:

Post a Comment